“Caldo” is a Spanish word meaning broth, stock or soup and Caldo de Res is a traditional Mexican beef soup made that combines large cuts of beef, veggies, potatoes, sweet potatoes and onions. Cooked all together, this is hearty and filling soup is chock full of flavor. A definite comfort food, this recipe makes us want to snuggle up on the couch and a warm bowl of Caldo de Res.
Mexican Beef Soup (Caldo de Res)
Original # of Servings: 1
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Active Time: 10 minutes
- chuck roast – 5 ounce
- sweet potato – 1/2
- potato – 2 1/2 ounce
- yellow onion – 1/4
- beef broth – 1 1/2 cup
- black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- lime juice – 1 tablespoon
- extra virgin olive oil – 3/4 teaspoon
- corn on the cob – 1/2
- fresh cilantro – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- Cut roast into large chunks.
- Peel potato and sweet potato. Cut into large chunks.
- Large dice onion.
- Peel corn if needed. Quarter.
- Preheat olive oil in a pot to high heat.
- Brown chuck roast, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, onion and corn. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer. Cook 45 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and lime juice. Stir 1 minute.
- Serve hot. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
My Happy Plates makes it easier to grocery shop and cook each week. If you’re interested in learning more about an account, click here to explore a free trial.
If you’re already a member, you’re 1-click away from adding this recipe to your meal plan for the week. We’ll portion everything out for you and add the items to your shopping list. Just click a recipe above.