We know you might be used to the traditional pho, made with strips of beef and fish broth, but this recipe is for those who want to try the vegetarian option. Equally as good, vegetarian pho uses vegetable stock instead and is packed with veggies like mushrooms, edamame, carrots and sprouts. This pho dish is practically fat-free!
Original # of Servings: 1
Total Time: 50 minutes
Active Time: 20 minutes
green onion – 2
ginger – 1 tablespoon
bean sprouts – 4 tablespoon
jalapeno – 1/4
white mushrooms – 4 tablespoon
star anise – 1/4 teaspoon
cinnamon – 3/4 teaspoon
salt – 1/2 teaspoon
black pepper – 1/8 teaspoon
garlic powder – 1/4 teaspoon
edamame – 1 1/2 ounce
shredded carrots – 3 tablespoon
vegetable stock – 1 cup
water – 1 cup
- Remove white parts of green onion. Cut green parts into half inch pieces.
- Peel ginger and thin slice.
- Thinly slice mushrooms.
- Bring vegetable stock and water to boil. Add spices and ginger. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add green onions and mushrooms to broth. Cook additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove cap from jalapeno. Thinly slice, leaving in the seeds.
- If using whole star anise and cinnamon sticks, remove before serving.
- Serve pho with side of fresh jalapeño, carrot, edamame and bean sprouts.
My Happy Plates makes it easier to grocery shop and cook each week. If you’re interested in learning more about an account, click here to explore a free trial.
If you’re already a member, you’re 1-click away from adding this recipe to your meal plan for the week. We’ll portion everything out for you and add the items to your shopping list. Just click a recipe above.