It might be come as a surprise that hot and sour soup is actually pretty quick and simple to make. This recipe is also easy to adapt to your taste preference. If you want a it a little more sour, just add extra vinegar. Want more heat? Toss in some more red pepper flakes. A super adaptable, delicious dish!
Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup
Original # of Servings: 1
Total Time: 40 minutes
Active Time: 10 minutes
vegetable broth – 8 tablespoon
tofu – 2 ounce
shredded carrots – 2 tablespoon
green onion – 1/2
shiitake mushrooms – 2 ounce
low sodium soy sauce – 1 1/2 teaspoon
distilled white vinegar – 2 tablespoon
black pepper – 1/8 teaspoon
red pepper flakes – 1/8 teaspoon
egg white – 1/2
- Small dice tofu.
- Slice shiitake mushrooms.
- Bring equal parts vegetable broth and water to a boil.
- Stir in carrots, mushrooms, and tofu. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Reduce to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in egg whites very slowly as you do not want large clumps of egg.
- Fine chop green onion.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with green onion. Serve hot.
My Happy Plates makes it easier to grocery shop and cook each week. If you’re interested in learning more about an account, click here to explore a free trial.
If you’re already a member, you’re 1-click away from adding this recipe to your meal plan for the week. We’ll portion everything out for you and add the items to your shopping list. Just click a recipe above.