You certainly don’t have to be from Louisiana to enjoy a hearty plate of gumbo. But if you aren’t from Louisiana, take note! This stew consists of a strongly-flavored, roux-based stock, andouille sausage, shrimp, a thickener, and veggies. One bite of this dish and you’ll be transported down south.
Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
Original # of Servings: 1
Total Time: 1 hour
Active Time: 30 minutes
shrimp – 3 ounce
andouille sausage – 1 1/2 ounce
red bell pepper – 1/8
green bell pepper – 1/8
garlic – 3/4 teaspoon
yellow onion – 1/8
all purpose flour – 3/8 ounce
butter – 3/4 teaspoon
extra virgin olive oil – 3/4 teaspoon
brown rice – 1 ounce
chicken broth – 8 tablespoon
parsley – 1/2 teaspoon
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat add olive oil.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper and add to oil.
- Cook shrimp for 2 minutes and remove from pan.
- Thinly slice andouille sausage and add to the pan.
- Cook sausage until golden brown and remove from pan.
- Dice onion, mince garlic, and roughly chop red and green peppers.
- Add to the pan and sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add butter and flour and cook stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
- Roux should be golden brown and smell nutty.
- Add in chicken broth and rice and cook for 3o minutes.
- Add in shrimp and sausage and reheat.
- Plate gumbo and garnish with fresh parsley.
My Happy Plates makes it easier to grocery shop and cook each week. If you’re interested in learning more about an account, click here to explore a free trial.
If you’re already a member, you’re 1-click away from adding this recipe to your meal plan for the week. We’ll portion everything out for you and add the items to your shopping list. Just click a recipe above.