Pasta has a reputation as a heavy meal, one that leaves you loosening your belt at the dinner table, wondering how you’ll ever eat again. While some cream-based sauces or dense cheese toppings can make you feel that way, pasta can also be used in lighter fare. In the springtime, we’re big fans of simple veggie pastas like this penne dish with zucchini and parmesan.
Penne with Zucchini and Parmesan
Original # of Servings: 1
Total Time: 20 minutes
Active Time: 10 minutes
- penne – 3 ounce
- butter – 3/4 teaspoon
- zucchini – 1/4
- salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- black pepper – 1/8 teaspoon
- extra virgin olive oil – 1/2 teaspoon
- fresh basil – 1/8 bunch
- Cook penne by package directions, and save 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking liquid.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Thinly slice zucchini and add to olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a serving bowl add grated parmesan cheese, butter, pasta, and part of the starchy cooking liquid.
- Toss for 2 minutes to coat the noodles, if it seems dry and more of the starchy cooking liquid.
- Plate and top with zucchini and freshly torn basil.
My Happy Plates makes it easier to grocery shop and cook each week. If you’re interested in learning more about an account, click here to explore a free trial.
If you’re already a member, you’re 1-click away from adding this recipe to your meal plan for the week. We’ll portion everything out for you and add the items to your shopping list. Just click a recipe above.