Don’t get too excited — this recipe doesn’t really have bourbon in it. That’s about the only thing it doesn’t have. With garlic, soy sauce, sesame seeds, scallions, and ginger (and that’s not all), this is some of the most flavorful chicken we have ever tasted. Say goodbye to chicken’s bland reputation!
Original # of Servings: 1
Total Time: 31 minutes
Active Time: 16 minutes
- extra virgin olive oil – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- chicken breast – 4 ounce
- garlic – 1/2 teaspoon
- brown rice – 1 ounce
- red pepper flakes – 1/8 teaspoon
- sesame seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- low sodium soy sauce – 1 teaspoon
- water – 2 tablespoon
- cider vinegar – 3/4 teaspoon
- brown sugar – 1 tablespoon
- ketchup – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- orange – 1/4
- corn starch – 3/4 teaspoon
- scallions – 1/4 stalk
- ginger – 3/4 teaspoon
- Juice orange.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dice chicken and add it to pan. Cook until lightly browned – times will vary based on the thickness of the chicken pieces.
- Remove the chicken to a separate plate and keep warm.
- Add the minced garlic, minced ginger and crushed red pepper flakes to the pan.
- Briefly sauté until the garlic is fragrant, around 30 seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and stir until the mixture is uniform is consistency and well-blended.
- If you want to thicken the sauce, now is the time to add the cornstarch dissolved in water.
- Stir and heat gently until the sauce is as thick as you want it.
- Normally the sauce is very thin, and you need to spoon it over each serving.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, cook rice according to instructions on package.
- Serve chicken over hot cooked brown rice.
- Spoon the pan sauce over each serving, if you did not choose to thicken the sauce.
- Sprinkle with sliced scallions and the toasted sesame seeds, if using.
My Happy Plates makes it easier to grocery shop and cook each week. If you’re interested in learning more about an account, click here to explore a free trial.
If you’re already a member, you’re 1-click away from adding this recipe to your meal plan for the week. We’ll portion everything out for you and add the items to your shopping list. Just click a recipe above.