Today I’m going to bring a little taste of the South into your home (if you’ll have me). When I first moved to North Carolina, I had never laid a finger on grits. Now, shrimp and grits is one of my favorite things to eat, especially with a refreshing lemony twist.
Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits
Original # of Servings: 1
Total Time: 35 minutes
Active Time: 20 minutes
- salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- extra virgin olive oil – 3/4 tablespoon
- garlic – 1/2 teaspoon
- shrimp – 5 ounce
- grated parmesan – 1 tablespoon
- lemon – 1/8
- cayenne pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- fresh parsley – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- grits – 3 tablespoon
- Review instructions on package for grits. Add necessary water and bring to a boil. Whisk in the grits, half of your salt and half of your pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan and one third your olive oil. Remove from the heat. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp, garlic and cayenne, and cook, tossing, until the shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Chop parsley.
- Remove shrimp from the heat and add 2 tbsp. water, the lemon juice and parsley; stir to coat the shrimp with the sauce.
- Divide the grits among shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce. Serve with lemon wedges.
My Happy Plates makes it easier to grocery shop and cook each week. If you’re interested in learning more about an account, click here to explore a free trial.
If you’re already a member, you’re 1-click away from adding this recipe to your meal plan for the week. We’ll portion everything out for you and add the items to your shopping list. Just click a recipe above.