This week’s Meatless Monday recipe features three of my favorite ingredients: mushrooms (all kinds, I don’t discriminate), feta cheese, and brown rice. This blog isn’t about me though, it’s about you. So here is one reason to add these stuffed mushrooms to your meal plan: one portobello mushroom can actually have more potassium than a banana. Who knew?
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Original # of Servings: 1
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Active Time: 11 minutes
- salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- black pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- extra virgin olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- baby spinach – 1 ounce
- garlic – 1 teaspoon
- brown rice – 1 ounce
- red bell pepper – 1/2
- yellow onion – 1/4
- low sodium soy sauce – 1 teaspoon
- balsamic vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- feta cheese – 1 tablespoon
- portobello mushroom – 3 ounce
- Remove stems from portobellos, chop and set aside for filling.
- Chop onion and red bell pepper.
- Sauté half of your olive oil and add onion and minced garlic in a saucepan on medium heat until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add red peppers and diced portobello stems to onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining olive oil to pan and add in spinach leaves. Remove from heat.
- Place portobello caps on baking tray and pile spinach mix into them equally.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese and bake in a 375°F oven for 1 hour.
- While mushrooms are cooking, cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- Serve mushrooms over brown rice and enjoy!
My Happy Plates makes it easier to grocery shop and cook each week. If you’re interested in learning more about an account, click here to explore a free trial.
If you’re already a member, you’re 1-click away from adding this recipe to your meal plan for the week. We’ll portion everything out for you and add the items to your shopping list. Just click a recipe above.