Who says a rich cream sauce can’t be healthy as well?
Check out this recipe that’s hearty, homey, and packed with flavor. We’ll show you how to use low-fat ingredients to get to creamy delicousness. Also, did we mention low sodium? Wahoo!
Chicken, Spinach and Tomato Pasta with Cream Sauce and Steamed Broccoli
Original # of Servings: 1
Total Time: 25 minutes
Active Time: 20 minutes
- salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- extra virgin olive oil – 2/3 tablespoon
- chicken breast – 2 ounce
- parsley – 1 teaspoon
- baby spinach – 1/2 ounce
- broccoli – 3 ounce
- butter – 1 teaspoon
- rotini – 3 ounce
- grated parmesan – 1 tablespoon
- roma tomato – 1/4
- all purpose flour – 1/2 ounce
- nonfat milk – 4 tablespoon
- Set a pan over medium-high heat. Add half of your oil.
- Slice chicken into thin cutlets. Saute for 3 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, boil water over medium-high heat. Cook pasta 8-9 minutes, until al dente.
- Separately, combine butter and flour in a pan. Let butter melt and whisk well to form a roux.
- Immediately add milk to roux and stir consistently until sauce begins to thicken. Add salt, pepper, and parmesan.
- Set a pan over medium-high heat. Steam broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- As a final step, add remaining oil to a pan and add spinach. Toss to coat and cook over medium-high heat until wilted, or about 3 minutes.
- Dice tomatoes, combine with spinach, and add to drained pasta.
- Dice chicken and add to pasta. Toss all ingredients together.
- Cover pasta with sauce and top with parsley.
My Happy Plates makes it easier to grocery shop and cook each week. If you’re interested in learning more about an account, click here to explore a free trial.
If you’re already a member, you’re 1-click away from adding this recipe to your meal plan for the week. We’ll portion everything out for you and add the items to your shopping list. Just click a recipe above.