We know you’ve been scouring all over the place for a root veggie ratatouille. Maybe cause you love the movie. Or maybe cause you love root veggies. We’re just not sure!
Well look no further. It’s here and it’s glorious.
Original # of Servings: 6
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Active Time: 30 minutes
- extra virgin olive oil – 7 1/2 tablespoon
- onion – 2
- garlic – 1 1/3 tablespoon
- green bell pepper – 1/2
- red bell pepper – 2
- butternut squash – 1 pound
- parsnip – 4 3/4 ounce
- green beans – 7 ounce
- zucchini – 1
- eggplant – 1/2
- potato – 5 ounce
- roma tomato – 2
- white sugar – 2/3 tablespoon
- tomato paste – 1/2 ounce
- salt – 1 teaspoon
- black pepper – 1 teaspoon
- water – 7/8 cup
- ground coriander – 1/2 teaspoon
- white rice – 1 cup
- Dice onions, red bell peppers, squash, parsnip, eggplant, zucchini, potato, and tomatoes.
- Pour two-thirds of the oil into a large, heavy-based pot and place on a medium–high heat.
- Add the onions, fry for five minutes, stirring occasionally, then stir in the garlic, chili and peppers, and fry for five minutes.
- Add the squash and parsnip, and fry for five minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a bowl, leaving as much hot oil in the pot as possible.
- Add the remaining oil to the pot and fry the beans, zucchini and eggplant for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return the other veg to the pot, add the potato, tomatoes, sugar, tomato purée and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Stir, then add enough water to half-submerge the veg.
- Cover, leave to simmer gently for 30 minutes, then season to taste.
- While veggies are simmering, cook rice according to package instructions.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a slotted spoon to lift the vegetables from the pot and into a deep roasting tin.
- Pour in the liquid and bake for 30 minutes.
- At this point the vegetables should be very soft and most of the liquid should have evaporated.
- Garnish with coriander, and serve with steamed white rice.
My Happy Plates makes it easier to grocery shop and cook each week. If you’re interested in learning more about an account, click here to explore a free trial.
If you’re already a member, you’re 1-click away from adding this recipe to your meal plan for the week. We’ll portion everything out for you and add the items to your shopping list. Just click a recipe above.